Monday, May 5, 2008

Venezuelan Deirdre Smyth: passing on the flame of hope in the Beijing leg of the 2008 Torch Relay

Deirdre Smyth: passing on the flame of hope -- china.org.cn: "'I have been to 30 countries and I keep in touch with the local people I met. I try to encourage breast cancer sufferers to have regular physical examinations and stay strong.' For Deirdre Smyth, one of eight foreign torchbearers chosen by Olympic sponsor Lenovo to run in the Beijing leg of the 2008 Torch Relay, it is a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to pass on the flame of hope. Born in Venezuela, Deirdre Smyth lived with her husband in Oman for seven years. They then gave their children an even broader view of the world by traveling to the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, Greece, Italy, France and Spain. Eagerness to learn about the mysterious East brought the Smyths to China. 'A magical world opened up in front of me,' said Deidre.

No comments:

Post a Comment